Kanatal – A Lost Hamlet
Kanatal in the picturesque settimgs of Garhwal Himalayas , the charming hillstation is the perfect weekend getaway for weary souls.
Few decades ago, there used to be a lake by the name of Kanataal; now it dried up and hence the name Kanataal, literally meaning “one eyed lake” in Hindi. To make it memorable, the place was named Kanataal.
Surkanda Devi is a temple in Kanataal, dedicated to Sati. Kanataal is where Shiva brought the head of his wife Parvati from Kankhal, Haridwar after she burnt herself on his Trishul. Located at a height of 9995 feet, you get a 360-degree view from the top of the temple. This temple is 8 km on the road to Mussoorie to Kaddukhal. One has to trek 2 km on foot to the little temple. Ponies are available . Kanataal has a few hotels with a view of the snow-covered hills. There are also a few camp grounds like Camp Carnival, Little Jaguar, The Kanataal Orchids – Camps, The Terraces, Pahari House
Places of interest
- Tehri Dam at New Tehri is quite famous. This dam is built on the confluence of River Bhagirathi and Bhilangna and make for an interesting visit. While at New Tehri, also visit the Pant Research Institute where fruits and plants are grown.
- Kodia Jungle is 1 km away on the road towards Chamba. It is a very nice picnic spot. A level walk of 7 to 8 km will show dense forests opening into a vast expanse of undulating hills and valleys. Tiny, gurgling natural springs are along the way. The track is jeepable. You could spot a few wild animals.
- Mussoorie is 37 km from Kanatal and is a popular tourist destination.
- Chamba is 14 km from Kanatal. Chamba is untouched and untamed by the vices of urbanisation and commercialisation.
- Dhanaulti is 15 km from Kanatal. Dhanaulti is like a cool winter breeze. Unspoilt by commercialisation, one can feel nature here. Treks, pony rides along fruit orchards and water streams appearing from nowhere can keep you busy as there is little commercialisation. Roads to Dhanaulti are not so bad and this can be a place worth visiting.
- Shivpuri is about 75 km from Kanatal and close to Rishikesh is Shivpuri, where you can enjoy rafting. Shivpuri is perhaps the most convenient and popular rafting destination close to Delhi.The best time to go is from September to October and then from March to May. It is closed in the monsoon season.
How to reach :
Kanatal is 78 km from Dehradun by road (capital of the State Uttarakhand), 38 km from Mussoorie and 12 km from Chamba ( Uttrakhanad ). It is on the Chamba-Mussoorie road and nearly 300 km from Delhi.